Business Licenses


License Renewal

Renew your license each year that you are still in business and inform the City when you are no longer in business.

  • Your business license will expire on December 31st of each year. Renewal notices will be sent to you as a reminder, but you are responsible for making sure renewal payments are received prior to delinquency. If a license renewal fee is not paid by March 1st, it will be subject to double the base rate as a late charge.
  • Home Occupations may be renewed annually provided there have been no reported violations/complaints which may require termination of the Home Occupation.
  • A business license cannot be transferred from one person to another or from one location to another. It is the business owner's responsibility to let the City know when a change will be taking place.

Home Occupation Business License

How to apply:

  1. Submit a completed Alpine City Home Occupation Business License Application including payment of all fees. All incomplete applications will be returned.
    • A fee of $50 per year is charged for all Home Occupations. You may have one employee outside of the family at an additional fee of $25 per year.
    • Included with this application is a copy of the Home Occupation Ordinance (Section This needs to be signed and dated, notifying the City that you understand and will comply with all of the requirements.
  2. Attend a Planning Commission meeting if required.
    • The Home Occupation Business License application will be reviewed by Staff and the DRC. If it is determined that the home occupation may create significant impacts, approval from the Planning Commission may be required before a license is issued. You will be notified if Planning Commission review is required and given the date that your application will be on the agenda.
    • Planning Commission meetings are generally held on the 1st Tuesdays of each month. Complete applications must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the meeting in order to make it on the agenda.
  3. Building, Fire, and/or Zoning Inspection if required (see Home Occupation Ordinance Section Number 15).
    • Building, Fire, and/or Zoning inspections will be required of certain businesses. You will be notified if you need an inspection.

Glossary of Terms

  • Business Registration Number (Business Entity Number): By law, you are required to register your business name with the Department of Commerce. You must provide a copy of your Business Registration number when you return your business license application to our office. Please call 801-530-4849 if you have any questions. The One-Stop Online Business Registration Application will provide you this number.
  • Sales Tax Number: Generally, only businesses involved with the sale of a tangible product must apply for a State Sales Tax number. For questions, you may contact the Commission at 800-662-4335. If you are required to have a Sales Tax Number, you must provide it when you return your business license application to our office. The One-Stop Online Business Registration Application will provide you this number if your business requires it.
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (Federal Tax ID Number, EIN or FEIN): Most businesses will need to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number with the Internal Revenue Service if a corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or sole proprietor with employees is being created. Please call 800-829-4933 or visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Small Business and Self-Employed  Tax Center for additional information. The One-Stop Online Business Registration Application will notify you in the event you need to obtain this number.
  • Employer Withholding Number: Employers can get a withholding tax account (license) by using the One-Stop Online Business Registration Application or completing and submitting the form TC-69 Utah State Business and Tax Registration to the Tax Commission. There is no fee for a withholding tax account. However, if you have a history of filing or paying taxes late, you may have to post a surety bond.
  • State License: It is required of some occupations to have a special license issued by the state. Please go to for more information or call the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional licensing at 866-275-3675.
  • Federal License: You will only need a federal license or permit if your business is involved in activities that are supervised and regulated by a federal agency. The types of business activities licensed by the federal government can be found on the Small Business Administration's "Apply for Licenses and Permits" page.